Friday, June 11, 2004

TGIF...

Everyday, I read a sometimes insightful, but mostly inspirational email from noted author Marianne Williamson. Today’s message was:

Are you able to openly and honestly accept yourself just as you are?

For me, that is a tough one. I would think that everyone would have that challenge. But, maybe not.

That got me to thinking just what self-acceptance is. I did some searching on the net and found this definition:

Self-acceptance is agreeing with yourself that you're doing the best that you can at this very moment in time.

And with that definition, I am not so accepting of myself. I always believe that I could be doing better. Rich, who is my oldest friend in the world says: “You wouldn’t be happy if you were hung with a new rope!”

And he is probably right. I would want something different. Which as I have gone through life has turned out to be a two edged sword.

When I was young and fortunate enough to be a CEO of a company that I took public, that characteristic drove our company.

As I have succumbed to working for others, my wanting to “get it right” has certainly been a mixed blessing with associates and bosses (you can guess who was in favor or not )

I have never understood folks like my Dad who have resigned themselves to a particular situation or relationship. I feel that I am living proof that opportunities exist for those who are willing to extend themselves for them. Do I come up with everything I want 100% of the time? Not even close.

So the question of the day is this:

Does ANYONE accept themselves they way they are?

I need some help on this.

TTFN.226


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe anyone really does.We are only human and we do have our faults.Some more than others.I think that if you are a good person and have respect for others then you should accept yourself for who you are.I personally think that if you can't accept me for who I am than... tough.I don't accept myself for who I am because I have my faults but I am a good person,I believe in God,have respect for most people but I am not perfect.No one is.Some of us think that we are not good enough or smart enough or pretty enough.Maybe thats just low self esteem.

June 12, 2004 at 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home