Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Reality comes into life...

Since I have left work from the old company, I have pretty much led a charmed life...went on a cruise, been able to stay at home, business has been adequate, etc. If you have been regularly reading, I have even kept pretty current on my blogging.

As such, I have had the time to catch up to other friends blogs as well. If you have been bloggin for any time, you are probably familiar with the Promo Guy's Monday Mission (which he gave up at the beginning of the year. His blog was always alot of fun and gave you insights into himself and to the other Missionary participants, which I was one.

His wife is dealing with cancer and has made him take stock of his life. Maybe his entries combined with the "Smart Couples Finish Rich" is making me re-examine what I want to do when I grow up (which should be soon since I am almost 50).

I have always done whatever interests me. And I have been fortunate that Julie has always supported whatever I wanted to do 100% (except for the extensive traveling). As such, I have experienced what I think alot of folks never even dream about.

Have there been trade-offs? Of course! When I look at folks like my brother, who has had the same job for over 20 years and his house has been paid off for at least 10, I don't have the financial security that he does. But I have always been able to travel to places, learn about diffrent things, and get involved on levels that many never will. I was CEO of a public company at 32. That might not sound like much in this post dot com era, but I did it almost 18 years ago.

The problem with me is that there is still so much I want to do and want to contribute. But I also understand that given my age, I might have to limit my options to one or two real runs. If you have never gone out on your own, you don't realize the energy it takes (or at least that I give to things). So, yes, age does come into play.

And the fact that I have more to lose now than ever before. I have real estate, a business, and most importantly someone who cares for me more than I do for me. Those aren't things that you can make up for quickly if you lose them.

So, I guess I am looking for encouragement. Suggestions?

TTFN.226

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home